Thursday, May 24, 2018

KSA Spotlight: Alicia Poon

There are some pretty amazing people that work to support students at the KSA. Every month we'll feature a staff member (and occasionally Council member) so you can actually put a face to the name/event/project. This month, I invite you to meet Alicia, the Student Service Coordinator for the KSA Benefit Plan!

Here are a few things about Alicia... 


1. How did you come to work for the KSA?
I was a student at kpu back in the fall 2005 and ended up spending time in the Grassroots (formerly The Fishbowl or The Oasis lol) and got a job in the KSA run cafĂ© for and a year later got the job as a part timer helper in the KSA Extended Health and Dental Office.

2. What is your position and can you provide a brief summary of what you do?
I am the Student Service Coordinator for the KSA Benefit Plan. I facilitate the plan for students. Help them understand what their plan is and how to best use it. I also do a lot of other jobs to help students utilize their plan.


3. What is your favourite thing about working here?
The environment. The people. I have been here for 13 years, 12 of which are in the health and dental office and I have always enjoyed it.

4. Best activity to do on the weekend?
Go to Whistler.


5. What is something that makes you unique?
I am fairly gutsy. I like to take on challenges, dares and am ruthless in competition. I once shoved a stranger is a glacier fed lake because he deserved it lol (if you find me on campus you can ask me the story-I swear I'm not mean)

6. What is your favourite food?
I love Asian food, most types.


7. What is one of your best memories at the KSA?
A few years ago at a staff retreat we got to go to a place I hadn't been since I was in grade 4 and I jumped in ice cold water with colleagues and we shared our life stories and it was a great time I wont soon forget.

Also every time Start Coordinator Steph Chee got pranked with a banana, that bit is classic.

Want to do more with the KSA? Volunteer with our START Program, Peer Support or the KSA Street Team. Looking to do more as a student? Consider attending a committee meeting or running in election next Spring. Want to work for us? Check out our job postings here.


No comments:

Post a Comment