Tuesday, November 14, 2017

KSA Spotlight: Konny

Konny – Member Services Coordinator
There are some pretty amazing people on our staff and because we do a lot of the 'behind the scenes' work, students don't always get to know who we actually are. Every month we'll feature a staff member (and occasionally Council member) so you can actually put a face to the name/event/project. This month, I invite you to meet Konny!

Here are a few things about Konny…

1. How did you come to work for the KSA?
I was originally a student member of some committees at the KSA.

I was scouring Craigslist ads, trying to find a position that would allow me to work around an incredibly hectic 4-class schedule. I saw a job posting on http://kusa.ca/ and decided to go for it. I felt I had the experience and relevant client care skills necessary, and I guess my interview went okay!


2. Position title & summary of your job:
I am currently the Member Services Coordinator for all four campuses at Kwantlen University at the KSA. Essentially, I coordinate the member services and assist management with ensuring everything is running as it should be. Aside from working at Member Services on a daily basis, I help organize food bank logistics, design signage, set the schedule for Member Services staff members and send a lot of emails with GIFs in them. I just find GIFs make everything slightly more palatable. I kind of wish a GIF could be provided with this answer. I will work on making that happen.

3. What is your favourite thing about working here?
I think the best thing about working for your alma mater or your student association is that I'm finally able to give back to an institution that has given me so much in the capacity that I best can (I sincerely love you, KPU -- thank you). I enjoy being able to help someone in a pinch or resolving somebody's frustrating experience --whether it be not knowing where your classroom is or how to properly open those goshdarn combination locks we sell. There's also the people -- so many people I work with (both at the KSA & KPU) are absolutely wonderful!

4. Best activity to do on the weekend?
Going for a run early in the morning -- when I can drag my butt out of bed. Sweat before breakfast. It keeps you young.

5. What is something that makes you unique?
I don't really think I'm all that unique, even though like everyone else, I often yearn to be. I am good at the things I do and I'm a quick learner because I've been lucky to develop my perceptive skills and imagination by those who have helped and mentored me along the way! I can draw pretty well, and I know my way around pretty much anything technical. I love learning, and if I could get paid to do so I totally would. Seriously -- any takers? Will learn for food.

I've also been known to run a 5K in under 25 minutes. Which is something I don't think anyone else at the KSA outside of Matt Hunt can do. I hate you for that, Matt. You have guitar and piano. Let me have running.

I can speak like 4 languages (English, French, Russian, American Sign Language). My French is the rustiest. Seven if you count programming languages </(cough) nerd>.

6. Favourite Food?
Matzoh ball soup or my mum's recipe for eggplant spread (we call it 'caviar' in Russian). Also: real caviar. I see you judging me. Honestly, anything in the world of Russian cuisine is my jam.

7. Best KSA Memory:
To be honest, I've had many lovely memories at the KSA. Also a few not so great memories (it comes with the territory of working in proximity to the realities of student politics).... please vote. I'd have to say my favourite memories have all been made at START (http://kusa.ca/START) and ActiveKSA (http://kusa.ca/activeKSA) events where I get to goof around and get to know all sorts of students from so many walks of life! I find the more I learn of others, the more I learn about myself -- so that's always been something I enjoy thinking about.

- Konny

Want to do more with the KSA? Volunteer with our START Program, Peer Support or the KSA Street Team. Looking to do more as a student? Consider attending a committee meeting or running in election next Spring. Want to work for us? Check out our job postings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment